Saturday, May 15, 2010

Grandma's Strawberry Jam


So, I had my Grandma come over this week to give me a tutorial on how to make her famous strawberry jam. You can put her jam on anything from Beef House rolls to waffles, or even just eat it out of the jar with a spoon. De-Lish. It actually turned out a lot easier than I thought it was going to go. So, I best post some good directions, as I didn't write anything down while she was here. I took photos! First, get 3 of the smaller packages of strawberries. You need to have enough for 4 cups of mashed up strawberries. Go for the ripe, juicy, red ones as they are easier to mash. Wash and quarter them up, then start mashing. Grandma was really, really good at mashing. You need to put a good twist on 'em! Once mashed and you've measured out your 4 cups, in a separate bowl, mix your pink box of Sure-Jell with 3 cups of sugar. Then in a sauce pan add the sugar mixture with 1 cup of water and bring to a boil. Once it's at a rolling boil, boil for only 1 minute. Grandma says that is the key! After that, mix it together with your mashed strawberries, stir, and let it set up. After it's set, transfer to your jars. Easy-Peasy!!! And this is what you'll get:

Thanks Grandma for sharing your strawberry jam wisdom with me! Now if only I had a Beef House roll to smother it with my freshly made strawberry jam... YUM-OOOO!!!!

No comments: