Monday, March 28, 2011

Red Velvet Wedding Cupcakes

 

Recently, I had a friend recommend my cupcakes to her friend getting married.
Her wedding colors were hot pink, black, and white.
She really wanted red velvet cupcakes, but she wanted them hot pink.
Do you know how difficult it is make chocolate cupcakes hot pink?  
Pretty hard...for me anyways.  If you know the trick please SHARE!!!
So we ended up using her Aunt Clyde's Red Velvet Cake recipe and came up with these...




Because this recipe is actually a box mix with some add-in's, I only had just enough cupcakes so I didn't get to taste a full one, only a mini one that I made scraping the batter from the bowl.  I thought they were pretty good!  They may have been a smidgen dry...so I've been asking for advice over on facebook as to how to solve that problem.  Anyone else know how to remedy that problem? I topped them with my Martha Stewart cream cheese frosting and used a Wilton 1M tip to pipe the rose.  The trick to getting the rose shape is to start piping in the center of the cupcake and work your way outwards.

 

And here they are displayed at the wedding!
Thanks Jenn for taking the picture and for the referral!  :)

Aunt Clyde's Red Velvet Cake
Mix together:
3 eggs
1 1/3 C water
3 T. canola oil
3 T. cocoa
1/2 t. vanilla; 1/2 t. of black walnut flavoring (couldn't find any...)
One 1 oz. bottle of red food coloring

Then add 1 box of Duncan Hines white cake mix.
Grease and flour 9x13 pan.
Bake at 350 degrees according to directions on cake-mix box.  Do not over bake.

I obviously made cupcakes and baked them for 17 minutes which seemed to be good!

Cream Cheese Frosting:
courtesy my BFF, Martha Stewart
Here's the LINK to the recipe.



6 comments:

Elizabeth Ann @ Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box said...

Oh my goodness! :-) THEY ARE BEAUTIFUL!!!!! :-) I love the roses on top! :-)

S and J said...

I made these red velvet cupcakes minus the frosting since I have another cream cheese frosting I LOVE and they were to die for... MOIST as could be. http://www.mccormick.com/Recipes/Desserts/Red-Velvet-Cupcakes.aspx

Jenn said...

Sorry the picture isn't the best... I got there too early before the flowers were set out around the cupcakes. Boy were they tasty though... I heard at least five different people comment on how yummy the frosting was! :-)

Jess said...

I'll have to keep these in mind! I decided awhile back that I wanted cupcakes instead of a cake at my wedding. now I just have to get him to propose! LOL

carmen said...

They look so good!

Unknown said...

Hi! I also bake a bit and my trick for the moistest cake and cupcakes around is to put them in zip lock freezer bags while still WARM- You can freeze them a few hours or longer... once pulled I frost. They are always defrosted in no time and I recieve lots and lots of comments about the moistness and also referrals! Nice job. Kim