Tuesday, March 15, 2011

St. Patrick's Day News Segment


So, here we go with another news segment that I did for the WCFN 7 pm news.  It was kind of last minute, but I think everything got thrown together quite nicely!
Here's the LINK!!!! Go watch! 
{After reading my post, of course...}  :)
 
 Here I am with Dave & Jennifer.  
They are so much fun to be around and make the segments really fun!

 
These are shamrock shaped rice krispy treats.  
The trick to getting them green, and you probably already know this, is to mix your food coloring in the stirred up marshmallows, right before adding in the cereal.  I found the thinner you could get them, the easier they are to punch out with the cookie cutter.  I sandwiched two of them between a sucker stick, tied a cute ribbon around them, and stuck them in this adorable pot I found at Michael's. 

 


 


 

My rainbow cupcakes were made using a Funfetti cake, because what kid doesn't LOVE Funfetti?
Then I topped them with some blue buttercream and added an Extreme Airhead, cut in half, as the rainbow, and some mini marshmallows for the clouds.  I've also seen where you can use two gummy worms as the rainbow if you can't find the Airheads, and you can also pipe clouds on with frosting.  This is not my own original idea, and when I find where I found them I'll be sure to give them credit!
 
 

 

And here are the Adult Friendly Cupcakes.  SOoOoOOo Yummy!
They are a Stout Cupcake, recipe courtesy of my sweet friend, Jami, all the way from the U.K.  Then I topped them with a Bailey's Irish Cream Buttercream Frosting.  De-Lish.  
Look for the recipe at the end of this post.  Tutorial also coming soon on how I made those shamrocks on top!

 

 

And then for the show stopper... the Rainbow Layered Cake.
{Let's all pause for some Ohhhhhh's & Awwwwww's.} 

So, Monday night, my mom and sister come over to help me get everything together and to help me with this gorgeous cake.  Well... we quickly learned that I probably ought to stick with cupcakes.  This thing is a beast.  It's enormous.  It was a CHALLENGE.  Bless anyone's heart who tries this and I wish you the best of luck, because if you can get it straight and not topsy turvy and looking like the Leaning Tower of Pisa, you get mad props from me.  But, it was sooooooo worth it!  So yummy!  I got the idea HERE from Pinks & Needles and it was very helpful!!!!  Let me know how yours turn out if you try it!!!!
 

 
And this is what the set looks like as soon as taping is finished.  
Everyone SWARMS in to gobble up the cupcakes!  :)

Here I am with my adorable sister, Ashley, my little assistant. 
{Even though she did doubt my rainbow cake...}
And I can't forget to mention my AMAZING mama, the lady behind the photos.
Thanks for taking amazing pictures for my blog, helping me with that cake, buying us McDonald's after every news segment, and being my biggest fan.  I LOVE YOU!  XOXO

Stout Cupcakes
Courtesy of Jami Schmidt
 
3/4 cup of unsweetened coca plus more for dusting at the end
2 cups sugar
2 cups AP Flour
1 tsp Baking soda
Pinch of fine salt
1 bottle of Guinness
1 stick melted butter
1 tbs Pure vanilla extract
3 large eggs
3/4 cups sour cream

Preheat to 350
Mix together dry ingredients in one bowl
In another mixing bowl combine stout, melted butter, and vanilla. Beat in eggs, one at a time. Mix in sour cream until combined and smooth. Gradually add in the dry.

 Fill the cupcake liners 3/4 full. Bake for about 12 mins and then rotate the pan and bake for another 12.  ** I only needed to bake mine for 17 minutes and they were good.  I don't rotate, too much trouble.  I know, I know... I probably should, but oh, well.

Bailey's Irish Cream Frosting
Courtesy Martha Stewart
3 sticks unsalted, room temp butter
4 C. powdered sugar
3 Tablespoons Bailey's Irish Cream liqueur
1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract

Cream butter until smooth.  Slowly add in powdered sugar, scraping down the sides as needed.  Add Bailey's and vanilla and beat until combined and smooth.  
   

6 comments:

Elizabeth Ann @ Elizabeth Ann's Recipe Box said...

Ok I am SOOOOO impressed! :-) Everything looks amazing! :-) I'm going with an Irish Dinner and just ONE dessert this year. . . but next year I'm going all out! :-)

Mom said...

You were amazing last night! I think I was as excited to see the inside of that rainbow cake as you were! Even though it leaned a little, it was so beautiful and delicious! This was my favorite WCFN segment so far. You are just so vibrant and beautiful! Love you to the moon and back!

Jenn said...

The rainbow cake is the most amazing thing ever!!!!!!!! I'm even starting to think that might be cute for Nathan's birthday party!!! But I do love your cupcakes... sigh...

Kimberly said...

For the Rainbow cake, did you level the cake layers (cutting off the top of all except the very top layer) and using stiff icing to hold the layers together?

Heather, TJ, Brock, and Jillian said...

Hey Kimberly!
That cake was a BEAST. I think we did trim the layers, but they were already pretty much flat. Then stuck them together with buttercream frosting and then had to stick wooden skewers down in it from the top because it was leaning pretty bad. I was worried the whole time that it was gonna topple over! Good luck if you try it!! :)

Shandy said...

Hi! I found you through Pinterest and thought your shamrock shaped rice krispy treats were the cutest! I am now following you via Google Friend Connect, and I featured you on my blog :)

http://aprons-n-pearls.blogspot.com/2013/02/oh-how-pinteresting-shamrock-special.html

Have a great day!