Monday, August 15, 2011

Cupcake Monday - Pina Colada Cupcakes



 


While wasting a lot of time on facebook one day, I ran across a cupcake shop featuring their pina colada cupcakes.  They looked soooo good, so I figured, I best try making some myself since I don't live anywhere close to this cupcake shop.  I asked on facebook for some recipe recommendations and got a few good ideas.  I still have one more recipe I want to try, which is from scratch, but I went with this one which is a box mix jazzed up a bit.  They turned out really good and moist!  I think next time I'll be adding a little more rum, since I went with the real stuff and not the extract.  I topped them with a coconut rum buttercream and it was de-lish!  These were definitely a hit and you should give them a try!!!
Pina Colada Cupcakes
Recipe via Betty Crocker - with some alterations
 Makes 24 cupcakes

Ingredients:
1
  box Betty Crocker® SuperMoist® yellow cake mix - I used a Pillsbury white cake mix
1/3 
cup vegetable oil
1/4 
cup water - I used 2 C. coconut milk at room temperature
1
  teaspoon rum extract- I used 1 T. coconut rum
can (8 oz) crushed pineapple in juice, undrained
3
  eggs - I used 3 room temperature egg whites
teaspoon coconut extract 
Then I added a box of coconut instant pudding
Frosting:
1/2 C Butter - I used unsalted
4 C powdered sugar
3 T. coconut rum - I wish I had used more, but I ran out!
 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Mix all of the wet ingredients and then add the cake mix and pudding, beat just until combined.  Scrape down sides as needed.  Fill muffin cups and bake for 16 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.  Let cool completely before frosting.

Frosting Directions:
Beat butter and rum until creamy, gradually add in powdered sugar 1/2 C at a time until you get the right consistency.  Top with shredded coconut and garnish with a cherry. 


No comments: